Monday, March 19, 2007

Always a First Time for Everything

So today, I took my first ride on an open bakkie. Think me, helena, saki and 25 community members in the back of a truck driving pretty fast. It was actually really cool because we were riding with the youth that we organised to the fish breeding project withsome guy from the ministry of fisheries. They have a dam full of fish already, but it may not be as easy to start because the fish are old and tough, so they may have to breed new fish and also get funding for good food although the fish can eat anything. It definitely seems like its gonna work really well, especially since the regional council has taken credit for the program we've organised! Next, Chicken breeding project and feedback meeting for those who are not a part of these two projects! I don't really care as long as it works, i just need to feel like i'm doing something.

Apparently, I am school secretary, they have my type assignments for them constantly. Today a teacher at my school gave me this like 10 page assignment she had and asked me to please type it so I did, except i was like ok, you want this in a couple days right? apparently not, she said it was due today, so i was like ok, no problem. But, i found out when i came back at 2 with it halfway typed that the assignment was due before then. Clearly I've created some myths about my typing abilities here, but i dont know how they got started.

probably from all this blog writing.

Oh yes, my family finally likes me! I think? I had dinner with them the other day (some kinda fish, was pretty good) and spent the evening stirring oshikundu, and my meme and I actually had a conversation sort of which was pretty amazing considering she could not even understand my greeting in oshiwambo before. Then I fed her cookies, which obviously the classic way to anyone's heart regardless of culture. If the milk in namibia was any good, probably wouldn't have broke that out too. They don't have those big soft baked cookies here though... mmmm........ i miss those. lately I've been having food cravings for east asian food. Hopefully thats gonnna happen soon, one of the volunteers found coconut milk in the store, that was pretty amazing.

I am off to Walvis Bay/Swakop for the independance holiday... where I will eat sushi. Will let you know how that goes. Also, lucy, the vol there might be getting high speed so will attempt to post many many pictures. yeayy!

No comments: