Thursday, April 05, 2007

5 cent

So... finally updating! I think I am going to stick to weekly updates, b/c honestly, now that you guys know my daily routine, life is relatively unexciting on a daily basis. Well, its still exciting for me, but to hear that I ate beans and corn from the field again today could get boring, and I want to keep you guys coming!

Miss Ami

So yesterday, my three dedicated PHEs actually practiced a presentation in front of my future is my choice and I was scared to DEATH. Like to the point that I didn't want to watch them b/c I was so scared. But, fortunately, they did an excellent job. They were confident, loud, and knew when to improvise and speak in oshiwambo! I am totally throwing them a party next week after I get back from windhoek. I told them that, and they didnt really understand...but they will if I find cookies in windhoek. Cookies always make a good party. Actually... I think I might make them! Anyways, I was very excited, plus 5 more kids signed up.

Beans and Maize

So this week, I've basically been hanging out with my family for dinner everyday b/c I love the beans and corn... they were eating mahangu one day, but it was with beef, so they got me more corn and maize so I could eat with them... it was really exciting. *i know it doesn't sound that exciting... but really, it was* Then, I promised to show them Indian dancing if they showed me how to do oshiwambo dancing, which is basically feels a lot like step. They like sing and clap and basically stomp to the rhythm in the middle of a circle of people... As opposed to my abysmal attempts at step though, I think i actually got this, and then I showed them some garba/a little bhangra (they loved it, but somehow could not do the steps without falling down. made me feel pretty skilled). Somehow though, the night ended in us attempting to do ballet and the splits in the middle of our homestead... i was in pain for at least a day after that. The next night we did the same thing... except we decided to play this game where someone listed different things after someone picked a category. We decided on musical artists and after we got through all the namibian artists, my host sister decides to try an american one... specifically, "5 cent." hahahahahaa. try making a dollar out of 5 cent. ok just kidding.

Fried Chicken

So, I stayed in Omuthiya for the weekend and went with my host sister to this... well they ahve this tradition where the girl goes to the guys homestead to meet the guys family, so me, my host sister, her sister, and some of her friends headed up north in my host sister's little red city car. (think VW bug with like 7 people in it... yesssss). It took us forever to get there... my host sister stopped at their cuka shop to do her hair, and made me go home and change into indian clothes (probably should have grabbed a snack). Then we finally left for Ondangwa, but once we got there, we stopped at pick and pay to go shopping... and then... some how my host sis got the newsflash that I got all the way back in Omuthiya that something might be wrong with her car so we stopped at a mechanic who basically told us it was no big deal. I guess it wasn't, but the car did stall out in the middle of ondangwa, lol. But once we got to the homestead, about 5 km outside of Ondangwa, it was pretty nice. They had like full out building in the homestead, but they had arranged this area outside for us to sit in with snacks and drinks and stuff. It was cool, but then they took forever to come. First, the meme came and greeted each and everyone of us and left us some Oshikundu (this oshiwambo drink with, shocking, mahangu in it). Then a few people would come every couple of minutes and introduce themselves. Finally after an hour or so, everyone in the family came and greeted us each individually. Then... we all introduced ourselves (I did in oshiwambo! I only said like two lines, but they got so excited that they clapped for me... then the guy next to me said the exact same two lines, and they thought it was funny and clapped for him too)... and then they gave speeches, and then FINALLY we ate, but it was worth the wait. It was like fully stocked southern meal... with mayonnaise in it. We had fried chicken, macaroni salad, mashed potatoes, carrots, spinach... oh my god, it was delicious, especially after a week of corn and beans. I mean I love corn and beans, but, i forgot how much loved real food.

So thats pretty much for this week... next week will be more exciting. My friends are coming up tiommorow! THen were going to ruacana falls and then I go to windhoek!!!!! yessssss.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, how r u? it appears u refuse to respond to my email. Just read ur last post sounds like u've really settled down adn I'm glad. take care of urself.

abi

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com