Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tsumeb

Hi everyone! I'm in Tsumeb, which is definitely the most beautiful city I have seen in Namibia so far (granted my total is only like 4 towns). Its supposed to be the copper center of Namibia, but really it is known for being green all year round, which is refreshing after Omuthiya, which has greenery, but it comes up later in the year. We are doing our community based training here which means that we are staying with a local family who will practice our language with us. I have a really cool family, and a great combination of running water, electricity and tradition (yess... i love running water and electricity, i have realized). So far we have just been walking around town, but its cool b/c all 22 health vols are in town so we see each other all the time. The only thing that is weird here is that ppl are really shocked by the fact that I am indian... in a good way, sometimes too good. I mean at least everyone thinks I am beautiful, but um... i dont know. But anyways, we stayed at this hotel the first night the hotel malakani which was really nice and then we went to this never ending world aids day parade in a neighboring town, which literally took forever. I was in a really bad mood until I got to my CBT house. We went grocery shopping together... I feel like I finally have a permanent place after being in transit for like 3 weeks. I unpacked... bought cereal and sandwich stuff (as yo ucan see food is a dominant theme in all my entries, but I am totally gonna lose weight b/c I walk everywhere). It was nice, and alos my host mom cooks me food which is also great b/c for three days in omuthiya i was a bit lost... even thouhg I could cook here b/c i have elec! But i think I will be able to post pictures from here, so I will try to post as many as possible. Oh yes, list of things to send me: burn mp3s (not wav files) on cds and send to me. Also pictures! Yesssssss. Althouhg the last couple days have also been a little bit crazy b/c people are eting (early termination), and sadly its three people I'm very close to. Its kind of upsetting and it made me make sure I want to be here too, but i didn't have to think much to realize that this is really where I want to be. really really want to be. I can't explain it b/c there are plenty of uncomfortable moments and also plenty of ppl that I miss very much, but there's something that feels right about my experience here. Maybe better next time. Ok, well I better go now, but here is a pic of Tsumeb (not one of mine). oh yeah ps. can you guys post the pictures from that saturday when you guys had the dinner party for me?! Thankssss! AMI

4 comments:

Bina Shah said...

hi Amula,
i am so glad you have running water, electicity and good family to stay. i hope you remember i alway said that you are beautiful. you never belived me. you thought i was telling you because you were my daughter. Say thank you to your host family from us for taking good care of you. Just enjoy yourself. Oh i forgot to tell you, good news is your dad passed the PMP exam with flying colors.
take care and be safe
Love Mom and Dad

gauri227 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gauri227 said...

Amiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I second Auntie's comment....... the rest of us have known how beautiful you are for a long time :) What you're doing and your location sounds absolutely amazing.... and it reminds me a lot of SA . I'm so glad your enjoying it--- I'm so proud of you and talk about my friend in the Peace Corps in Namibia all the time! OF course I miss you A LOT and I can't wait to come visit you!! I will send you packages full of any lovely things you want, just email me your proper address and what you want.
Keep updating your blog !

I LUBB YOU
gauri

ESQ-JD said...

yeah, send me the email address too, i'd like to email you. This is the guy that recently transferred. i am using a anon. account.